I have been reading all my life but mostly newspapers and magazines, during the last century, due to lack of access to books. This century opened the door to Internet, and I keep surveying the intellectual scene without any dedicated reading. However, concentrating on Sri Aurobindo has stood me in good stead. So I can't claim any particular competence or expertise.
Being born and brought up in a village, I am privileged to have first-hand experience of poverty and deprivation. By residing in different States, I have earned varied perspectives on life. By living under all the Prime Ministers, I have seen the effect, or lack of it, of the whole spectrum of ideologies. From writing on a Slate to typing on my Honor Tablet is a huge technological leap.
Sri Aurobindo introduced suspicion in many spheres but still created a metanarrative on his own. My exposure to postmodernism and hermeneutics helped to develop a critical eye. It also helped not to be swayed by the grand claims of Hindutva. Many intellectuals are atheists and are satisfied with an ethical outlook. But as Founder of Savitri Era Religion (2006), I steer clear of the dry as dust secular approach.
Being part of the Bank Officers' Association, I was very much a Leftist but later moved to the Reforms bandwagon. I am not sure about the model we are following now, but harbour serous doubts about freedom fostering healthy competition or fair play. Totalitarian powers of digital environment are bound to be utilised for manipulation and mischief. One curious thing is begging online has become respectable!
As I am trying to convey some sense out of 26 letters, the foundational role of language in conducting the human affairs becomes apparent. The problem is what to choose and why. Education enables to make the right selection, otherwise, one wanders in a forest of confusion. Sri Aurobindo provides one such safe syllabus. One has all the freedom with that anchor.
No text should be treated as the ultimate. The aesthetic moment can come from any signifier. The point is, each slice of finitude needs to be suffused with the seeking for Immortality. The message of Savitri is, basically, that. It's not a docile supplication but self-aggrandisement, in a positive sense. Growing in consciousness. Aspiring for The Mother's grace. https://x.com/SavitriEra - https://bsky.app/profile/savitriera.bsky.social

No comments:
Post a Comment