Friday, March 28, 2008

Sri Aurobindo has a distinct style of writing, just like Spinoza has his own, or Jaspers, for that matter

[Re: The Intermediate Zone? by innerhike on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:26 pm
Sarasvati, Greetings! I have only briefly looked at your original posting at the beginning of this thread and then I glanced very quickly through Aurobindo's words that you shared with us. First off, I deeply respect Aurobindo. But years ago in the brief interactions I have had with people who read/discuss Aurobindo, I realized that they have a lot to say about nothing at all. So this put me off Aurobindo a bit. Aurobindo was schooled in England many decades ago, perhaps even a century ago, and so his manner of writing/communicating reflects a very old-school, fomal approach. Regardless of my take on him, in India and abroad spiritual seekers hold him in very deep respect. I see him as one of the teachers who has been accorded the status of a "great one" by many seekers of great depth and integrity to where he is now deeply established in the pop culture of spirituality in India and abroad.]

Sri Aurobindo has a distinct style of writing, just like Spinoza has his own, or Jaspers, for that matter. Thus, it is absurd to question the writing-style of a thinker, and instead one should train himself to have access to the thought. Avoiding the New Age books, and reading the works of philosophers will help in this endeavor. Philosophy is for everyman. [TNM]

No comments:

Post a Comment