Thursday, August 13, 2009

Intimidating things are actually simple, manageable, and interesting

[why I like Cairo newcomers
from Object-Oriented Philosophy by doctorzamalek
the world is a better place when everyone is functioning at their best. The teaching profession is about helping to make this happen, and I’ve always been a teacher at heart. I like to help people see that complicated-looking and intimidating things are actually simple, manageable, and interesting. That’s the first reason I always bend over backwards to help newcomers, if possible.
The second reason is that it helps me rediscover the excitement of Cairo to see it through the eyes of newcomers.]

[one other point about the Pyramids area
from Object-Oriented Philosophy by doctorzamalek
Their only purpose in being in that area is not fair business, but organized cons, traps, and rip-offs... For these reasons, I have a rule of thumb that no Cairo visitor for whom I feel even remote human sympathy is allowed to visit the Pyramids without me. I go along with them to be the “bad cop”, and such a level of badcopness is required that I can almost guarantee you I’ll be in an ugly shouting match with one of those bums today...
However, Agra in India (home of the Taj Mahal) is even worse. I had mobs of taxi and rickshaw drivers hassling me in Agra. Even the hotel desk clerk was hassling me there to hire his cousin.]

Graham Harman tells of his plight at Agra. Count me to play the “bad cop,” Graham, whenever you visit next. Why not a OOO Conference at say, Orchha? [TNM]

No comments:

Post a Comment